This is why we organise a night full of debating! Debating can teach you a lot: you will greatly improve in making your point in a clear and structured way (All hail for logic!) within a very short time (very important to us TNO'ers). Next to this, it hones your skills for reacting fast on the things your opponent says and your skills to empathically and engagingly making your point towards an audience.
Two of the most well-known styles of debating are British: Oxford debating and 'House of Commons' debating (known in Dutch as the 'Lagerhuis stijl'). This is why we will have a British-themed event.
During this event, organised with the help of TNO Toastmasters, you will:
- Get the basics of debating
- Lots of practice in small debating exercises (focused on structured speaking, argumentation (logos) and impromptu speaking mostly)
- Analyse a debate / different types of arguments
- Join a real Oxford-style / Lagerhuis style debate!
- Simple dinner afterwards (optional)
The whole evening will be packed with tips, tricks, feedback, (British) examples and some British treats (think liquorice, ale, fish-and-chips).
The location will be announced shortly.
More information on the content will be shared with the participants on forehand.